Cheese Whey Ethanol Plant Design
The client approached ADF with preliminary engineering and pilot test data for producing ethanol from cheese whey permeate, a by-product of the cheese making process. This project involved working closely with the client to complete detailed process engineering, equipment specifications, plant layout, and piping design for the construction of a 3.0 MGY facility.
PFDs and intelligent P&IDs were prepared and utilized ADF Engineering mass and energy balances for the entire process, including;
- Yeast Propagation
- Yeast recovery/drying/bagging
- Waste water treatment
The processes of separation, distillation, drying and air scrubbing were modeled utilizing ChemCAD. A plan for the overall facility was developed including;
- Raw material handling including PMO requirements for dairy trucks and process schedules.
- Development and compilation of equipment specifications
- Procurement and compilation of vendor quotes
- 3-D modeling of the facility
- Equipment layout plans and elevations
- Preparing permit drawings and calculations for the facility (air emissions and waste water)
- 3-D modeling of the piping systems throughout the facility.
Type of Industry:
Tools & Skills Utilized:
- Mass and Energy Balances
- ChemCad Process Modeling
- Material Handling Design
- Development of PFDs and P&IDs
- 3-D Modeling